Thursday, August 30, 2012

What mange/anime taught me

Sometimes I feel like a late bloomer.


It feels as though I start to grasp and internalize things that other people take for granted as common knowledge. For example, until very recently I didn't have much time or effort for "friends." I had bad experiences with friends growing up, so having friends never felt safe to me; one's guard always needed to be up which, ironically, is not the true definition of friendship. It wasn't until very recently that I truly appreciated the people in my life, and have put forth a lot of effort to strengthen those existing friendships and reach out to create new ones. Because the truth is I love people. They are quirky, they are different, and they are all so endearingly original.

Which brings me to my next great realization: everyone has something different to offer, which should be cherished in it's own way.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. 
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. 
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. 
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? 
Actually, who are you not to be? [...]
Your playing small does not serve the world. 
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. 
We are all meant to shine, as children do. [...]
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. 
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

-Marianne Williamson

It was only after I began to truly appreciate the people around me that I began to understand this concept. For a long time, I had a hard time comparing myself to other people; it was a mix of misguided competition and a sense of unworthiness. It felt as if everyone else had something that I didn't, something that made them stand out as a leader, or as a good friend, or as a successful student. It took time, but eventually I stopped comparing myself to other people, and simply took a long hard look at the person I was versus the person that I wanted to be. Through this effort (and believe me, it wasn't a sudden realization, but more like an uphill trek) I truly learned to believe, to my very core, that I am worthy and deserving of love and everything else this world has to offer.

Oddly enough, just as the poem prophesies, as soon as I felt this I was able to appreciate the authenticity in other people.

It's amazing to see what people can accomplish. For example, I have a friend who has the uncanny ability to attract people to her. She possesses so much warmth and so much charisma that people can't help but want to be around her. I have another friend who has the organizational skills of a person twice her age. She has so much mental focus and discipline that she can put everything into place, should she so desire. I have yet another friend who has such amazing listening skills that he usually has people opening up to him soon after they meet. Sometimes it's not even a describable characteristic, but a feeling of gratitude for knowing this person. And somehow, in acknowledging what they have to offer, I am reminded of that special something that only I can bring to the table.

It reminds me of so many mangas/animes that I grew up with (and am still fiercely loyal to).














In essence, there's always a team of people who attempt to reach a common goal. Even though there's usually one "leader" (a person who possesses leadership qualities; I don't even know how to define it, but everyone knows someone like this),


that leader wouldn't be around if not for the people surrounding him/her. Everyone has their part to play, such as offering a refreshing breeze of simple and uncomplicated camaraderie,

or offering a different perspective on a situation, which may involve using reason to temper impulsive decisions.

Not just that, but each person has a different strength that is both acknowledged and valued by the team.

However, in today's society, it seems that there are a certain number of qualities and skills that are considered highly desirable to be successful in anything and everything: assertiveness, being charismatic, being outgoing, possessing good social skills and communication skills, and of course having an attractive face helps. As admirable as these qualities rightfully are, having their own place and purpose, making them the ideal leaves out appreciation for a wonderfully diverse group of people. For example, while being outgoing is generally more encouraged, introverts offer a lot of insight that an extrovert might have missed.

(     Susan Cain: the power of introverts
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts.html     )

Also, in some situations (especially when dealing cross-culturally) being assertive can seem intimidating or downright rude, so a person with a more passive demeanor would be strongly appreciated. Furthermore, there are times when being charismatic is exactly the opposite of what the situation demands (such as trying to garner information inconspicuously, or other such covert operations) which increases the need for someone unobtrusive.

Basically, each person in this world has a gift inside them that can be a boon to everyone around them, as long as they're given the freedom and permission to do so.

Thank god anime exists to help teach such important life lessons late at night (early in the morning?).

Oh, and a special shout out goes to a great guy! You know who you are. ;) Thanks for the support.

1 comment:

  1. i dont know who you are, and i would probably not have ended here if google didnt want me to, but i took my time to read through your text...and i gotta say, i am glad that you feel that way. And yes, god bless anime, it teaches us morals in ways that are not expressed nowdays in society. the fear of being an outsider is often overwhelming, and i do see how sometimes people hide what they love and admire because of the fear of being an outsider, hated, or just looked down at. you are a beautiful person and i hope life works for you.

    Best regards. anonymous anime lover, and an understanding person. :)

    ReplyDelete