Sunday, October 14, 2012

The equation for any and all relationships

It's official: I'm a late bloomer.

I fully internalized a concept the other day that I'm sure many people have already realized. There are only two types of people in romantic relationships; the disinterested ones, and the not so disinterested ones.


At least, that's how all relationships start out, from what I can see.

First, there's the person who acts disinterested. This is usually the person in the relationship who is chased, so to speak, because they are way too relaxed and outgoing to really pursue a relationship. They give off that air that says, "I could care less whether or not you give me your number", which of course makes people flock to them with the hope that they'll be that special exception to the disinterested facade.

Second, there are the not so disinterested ones. This is usually the person who is doing the chasing, so to speak, because they are incredibly attracted or drawn to the disinterested individual and are pursuing them with a vengeance. They give off that air that says, "ask me to jump and I'll respond with how high."



Now, before I continue allow myself to digress: I'm not an expert on relationships. These are simply observations that I've made through being on both sides of the equation.

Moving on.

Whether or not these two people actually end up together doesn't really have anything to do with who chases and who is chased. It all depends on the level of attraction. For example, if a disinterested party suddenly has someone chasing them that they start to develop feelings for, the overt attempts to woo them will seem endearing and charming. The same goes for the interested party; rather than seeming like a jerk, the person who acts disinterested just presents more of a challenge and is going to be really worth it in the end to the chaser.

However, it is my humble opinion that some people prefer to be chased and some people prefer to chase.

Why?

I have absolutely no idea. That's definitely food for thought for a later post.

But I have yet to see an instance when this formula cannot be applied to any romantic relationship. I dare you to come up with a specific, real life instance that defies this. Which of course begs the question, how the hell do people end up together? Relationships are so complicated, and feelings are so complicated, it is a complete wonder that people form them in the first place. I find myself continually amazed by the enigma that is "the relationship". I've been changing my views of love and relationships on a daily basis, as evidenced by this blog, and as evidenced by the fact that I'm pretty sure I've contradicted myself a few times over in these posts.

The one thing that I know for a fact, and stand behind, is that finding oneself in a loving relationship (stress the word loving) is something that should be cherished, because it really doesn't happen just any old day. Think about it. You're just one person. There are 6.4 billion people in the world. What are the odds of meeting another individual (whether the same sex or opposite sex, whether they're the same age, older, younger, or whatever you're into) who shares the exact same feelings that you do for them, and want the same things out of life when you meet. It's absolutely mind boggling and fact crushing. It's ugly yet beautiful. It's a blessing and a curse. It's the most annoying thing in the entire world but also the most interesting.

Love and appreciate every contradictory moment of it.




No comments:

Post a Comment